Summer Staycation: New and Notable in Orlando
Looking for something fun and different to do this summer? There’s plenty to discover here in the City Beautiful with lots of updated and new attractions, entertainment hotspots, dining destinations and family-friendly resorts. Here’s a listing of some the latest from our friends at Visit Orlando.
NEW ATTRACTIONS: THEME PARKS AND MORE
- Universal Orlando Resort: Volcano Bay, a brand new tropical island water park, opened
Volcano Bay at Universal Orlando Resort
May 25, 2017, featuring innovative, thrilling attractions and TapuTapu wearable technology for virtual queuing.
- Walt Disney World Resort: Pandora – The World of AVATAR opened as a new land at Animal Kingdom on May 27, 2017, which is the largest expansion in the park’s history. Also at Animal Kingdom, Rivers of Light is an innovative experience combining live performances, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery. “Happily Ever After,” a new nighttime spectacular, debuted at Magic Kingdom Park. Also new is Miss Adventure Falls, a family-style raft attraction, which opened at Typhoon Lagoon.
- SeaWorld Orlando: SeaWorld’s first digitally-enhanced ride experience will open June 16 when the legendary Kraken roller coaster is transformed into a virtual reality (VR) roller coaster. Electric Ocean, a new end-of-day spectacle event, will take place June 17 – Aug. 5. An all-new stadium show called Dolphin Days is now open, immersing guests into the world of the ocean’s most playful ambassadors.
- LEGOLAND Florida Resort: LEGO NINJAGO World, a new immersive land, is a training ground for future ninjas. LEGOLAND Beach Retreat is a new property with 83 single-story duplexes, a themed pool and sandy play area.
NEW DINING & NIGHTLIFE
- Ace Cafe Orlando, the first US outpost of the iconic London, England-based motor-diner
ACE Cafe Orlando
opened May 19. An American roadside diner inspires the menu, with made-from-scratch comfort food, some British favorites and locally-sourced and green options, all at an affordable price point.
- Uncle Julio’s Fine Mexican will join the dining offerings at I-Drive 360 this summer. The Texas-based restaurant chain will sit near the Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, with a patio around the building for a view of the wheel. The Tex-Mex menu items will include a range of options, like honey chipotle salmon or cowboy queso.
- Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen is a new full-service restaurant at Universal CityWalk that offers unique takes on classic steak, seafood, pasta and more, plus an array of gourmet chocolates and desserts.
- Universal Orlando Resort: Loews Sapphire Falls Resort is the fifth on-site hotel at Universal Orlando Resort, featuring 1,000 rooms and suites with a casual Caribbean theme, built around a lagoon and towering waterfall.
- Just five minutes from Walt Disney World Resort, The Grove Resort & Spa open 108 new
Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate
rooms this June, completing its first phase. The resort offers two- and three-bedroom residential-style suites with full kitchens, washers & dryers and multiple bathrooms to provide all the comforts of home.
- Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate opened a new resort recreational area. The new 23,000-square-foot area will include 16 new pool-side cabanas, 400 more lounge chairs as well as an expanded kid’s pool area. The hotel is currently undergoing a $40 million expansion project, which will be complete by the fall.
Find more information, including exclusive insider tips, opening dates and the latest news on Orlando’s summer happenings, at VisitOrlando.com/blog.